The most viewed preprints on Haldane’s Sieve in October 2012 were:
- Horizontal gene transfer may explain variation in . Maddamsetti et al. argue that a reported signal of variation in the mutation rate across genes in E. coli may instead be a signal of horizontal gene transfer. The original authors respond in the comments, and a more extensive post is here.
- Finding the sources of missing heritability in a yeast cross. Bloom et al. show that they are able to identify the majority of loci contributing to a large number of traits in a yeast cross. Some commentary by Joe Pickrell is here.
- The geography of recent genetic ancestry across Europe. Ralph and Coop use long segments of shared ancestry to investigate population movements and structure within Europe. An “Our paper” post is here.
- Species Identification and Unbiased Profiling of Complex Microbial Communities Using Shotgun Illumina Sequencing of 16S rRNA Amplicon Sequences. Ong et al. describe a sequence capture approach for metagenomics profiling of microbial communities.
- Best Practices for Scientific Computing. Aruliah et al. describe software tools and approaches for writing reliable and maintainable software. Some discussion is here.